BTTR is a 501c3 charity dedicated to finding forever homes for beagles (and the occasional "wannabe" beagle), and to educating the public about responsible pet ownership. We are located in Chesapeake, Virginia and survive solely on your donations.
We Have Beagle Puppies!
Update: Crispy (Male #4) has been adopted, we have one person coming out to pick and 2 females (not sure which two) still available.
We have 4 beagle puppies born 12/19/18 that are looking for homes! Meet the Treat Pups: Snap, Crackle, Pop, and Crispy. There are 3 females, 2 tri-color and 1 black and tan, and 1 male tri-color. We are accepting applications online via the link below. Please read through our puppy adoption requirements and our full adoption requirements BEFORE applying.
Due to the high volume of spam Facebook messages or comments please only contact us via phone 757-447-7773 or via email email@example.com if you have any questions
Adopter Requirements/Adoption Policies
- Due to state/local regulations adopters must live within 90 minute driving distance of Chesapeake, VA 23322.
- BTTR requires a fenced in yard for all puppy and most adult dog adoptions. Dogs cannot be left unattended in fenced in areas when the owner is not home or for extended periods of times. Extra care is to be taken with puppies and newly adopted dogs if the home has a dog door.
- Balconies, decks, dog pens, porches (concrete only) and invisible (electric) fences do not qualify as fenced in yards. Yards that are extremely small, full of hazards, or do not have secure enough fencing may also be rejected.
- Adopters must be willing to allow a BTTR representative to visit their home and verify that your fencing is secure, and make any necessary repairs before bringing home the dog.
- Adopters of puppies, heartworm positive dogs, and dogs needing additional medical care through BTTR must be willing to bring the animal to BTTR’s facility or to a vet chosen by BTTR for prearranged appointments, medication pickups, and non-emergency related care.
- Adopters must be at least 18 years of age. All adults in the household must agree to the selection of the chosen beagle: including parents, relatives, roommates, etc. BTTR strongly recommends that all family members meet the dog before adopting the dog.
- Adopters cannot adopt dogs as gifts. Dogs cannot be sold, given away or rehomed to another individual (including family), shelter or rescue. All animals must be returned to BTTR if the adopter can no longer care for them.
- Adopter’s current animals must be up-to-date on vaccines, spayed/neutered, and on heartworm prevention (unless a medical condition prevents doing so). Adopters must provide adequate food, water, shelter, attention, vaccinations, heartworm prevention, medical care and licensing for the life of the animal. BTTR will contact your veterinarian to verify your pet’s health record.
- Beagles will be placed with adults to be kept as companion animals, not as guard or hunting dogs. They are to be accepted as family members and must receive proper nourishment, medical care and attention.
- All future veterinary care, including but not limited to vaccinations, city/county licenses, injures, and any genetic/pre-existing conditions are the responsibility of the adopter unless pre-arranged with BTTR.
- All dogs will be neutered or spayed prior to adoption without exception. Any animal not altered prior to pick up will be considered “foster-to-adopt” until after the spay/neuter surgery.
- BTTR requires that adopters of puppies and young dogs have plans for letting the dog out while they are away. Puppies can generally only hold their bladder for 1 hour per month old they are.
- BTTR does not adopt out puppies to homes with children under the age of 4 because puppies tend to nip, scratch, chew, have accidents, and jump up (applies to dogs under 1 year).
- BTTR receives limited information on an animal’s history. BTTR makes no guarantees about an animal’s age, breed, or temperament. BTTR cannot guarantee the size, looks, or parentage of puppies.
- BTTR offers a trial period for all adoptions. Adopters that return dogs during the trial period (generally 1 week) will receive a full refund.
- Adopters cannot keep dogs on a chain, tether, in a pen or in a shed or garage. Dogs will not be kept in a home where they are allowed to run off-leash except while supervised in a secure fenced in area.
- All beagles must wear collars with owner identification tag (phone number) at all times. If your beagle is lost, a tag may be the only way to have him/her returned to you. BTTR will microchip all dogs and will register the microchip in the owner’s name. Adopters are responsible for keeping the registered information up-to-date and for any fees associated with updating.
We are now accepting applications. We will review all the applications, call applicants for a brief phone interview. A group of BTTR representatives will select an adopter and an alternate adopter in case the first home doesn’t work out or changes their mind. Once selected the adopters will get a chance to come out and meet the puppies and select their pup. We will then set up a home visit to make sure the new home’s fencing is beagle proof and have them sign all the adoption paperwork. We do offer a trial period to all adoptions, including a full refund if things don’t work out during the trial period.
To fill out an application click here. If you have any questions give us a call at 757-447-7773 (please leave a message) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org